Thursday, May 28, 2009

#66 Thursday

Dear diary,

Today was almost a reprieve from the hustle and bustle of the week so far. By reprieve, I mean that we did what we would have normally done today, which was hold our fortnightly staff meeting. By almost, I mean that we extended the invitation to the meeting, somewhat. By somewhat, I mean that it was an open forum for the public, so that they could have their say.

Myself and the other staff sat around the usual table where we have our staff meetings. We were all acutely aware that t had been moved to the centre of the library and that we had a surrounding crowd of about twenty-five people, all regular patrons and important members of the community. Constance Yow Ting, outspoken councilor and human rights activist; Hammond X, the larger-than-life youth music rapper (and a fan of poetry, his borrower record reveals); Sue Tonius, president of the history association and general busy-body: all were present for the meeting. We chatted for a while as we waited for everyone to arrive, but the moment Boudecia appeared from the staffroom we adopted a more formal tone and got down to business.

I was the minute taker, and I really wanted to use one of the new BiblioTech L.U.B.E. accessories. I took out the MinuteMinuter™, a tiny handheld device which is attuned to pick out opening and closing statements. In doing this, it records the agenda item being discussed, and the subsequent action that is being taken. Very handy indeed!

Boudecia waited for me to set it up, the launched into the agenda. Item 1 – Additions to Collections. Ernesto reported on the launch of the new Encyclopedia Universa, a set of encyclopedias which are kept so up-to-date that they have to be replaced every four weeks. Boudecia said we would not be getting it. Constance interrupted to say that it was important we don’t deprive the community of facts and that society was flawed because the common people aren’t given the chance to access vital information. Boudecia retorted that the only new information to be gleaned from these editions would be a new constellation or species of fungi every few weeks, and besides, there was the internet. Constance fell quiet.

Item 2 – Borrower Issues. Bron has suspended a gang of young teenage boys form the library. They’ve been troublesome for quite a few months now, making noise and bothering other patrons. The situation escalated when one of them threw a chair at the window last week. Luckily the window is made of reinforced glass so that survived intact, however the chair shattered. Boudecia agreed to Bron’s plan to drive by each boy’s home (the ‘other’ reason we collect people’s personal information when they sign up) and leave a piece of the chair at their doorsteps. Hammond raised a hand and said he knew the boys, and that they came from broken homes. Bron’s attitude changed instantly from vengeant librarian to caring motherly figure, and agreed to leave a tender note with the seat wreckage.

Item 3 – Staff Matters (or Staff Matter – the MinuteMinuter™ has an annoying spellcheck built in). Boudecia gave Shannon the all-clear to advertise for and hire more volunteers to help out with the Library Weekend planned events. Sue interjected that she would be interested in researching the history of the library, provided that had free access to the Sequestered Stacks. Boudecia nodded curtly to her, then turned to me and whispered “bothering old cow”.

I glanced down at the MinuteMinuter™, worried it would include that with the rest of the meeting minutes. But the display screen was flickering wildly. The words were jumbled and Item 3 had INTERFERENCE ERROR CANNOT COMPUTE marked across it. I tapped the device on the side of the table – my normal method for fixing technology – and suddenly the device began to overcompensate. It began recording everything – every word and interjection, every whispered conversation from the other side of the room, and even body language. I tapped it again and the screen died, probably for overload. Who knew libraries were so noisy?

I looked up in confusion. Boudecia was eyeing me, her eyebrows raised in a bored expression, whilst Sylvia and Shannon were trying to get the thing to work. By now the surrounding public had moved in to see what was going on, and in the usual manner of crowds, prevented the people who were trying to do something to help the situation from actually doing anything. As people shuffled closer to get a good look I caught a glimpse of a familiar figure in the background. They were dressed in a long black robe with a golden cross on it, and in their hand they were holding a walkie talkie. That must’ve been what had jammed the signal! But why would someone do that?

I jumped out of my seat … and smacked into Constance. My hands flew up to brace myself for impact. As someone gasped and the crowd cleared some room, I found myself clutching onto her breasts. Worse still, the cloaked figure had disappeared. I dropped my hands and made to move to the door to catch the monk, but Constance grabbed onto my arm and sent a litany of abuse flying at my face. Eventually Ernesto pried us apart and let Constance cool off., but I could see a smirk developing in his usually implacable expression. I fled to the staffroom bathroom and just sat there, bewilderment running rife through my mind.

I can’t say that was the best staff meeting I’ve ever been to. Still, I shouldn’t let the fact that I groped a councilor get me down. There are still three days left of this week, and they should go much more smoothly than today. Really, what could go wrong?

-Jay

No comments: